Since the mid 13th century a cave castle stood in the Lueg gorge (Lueg = old high German: cave, hole, gorge). It was first documented in 1241 in a peace agreement between Bishop Egno of Brixen and Count Albert the 3rd of Tyrol. The castle's walls and roof were formed by the rock of a natural cave, and a wall with battlements closed the cave's mouth to the outside.
The cave castle was largely destroyed by the building of the Brenner railway between 1864 and 1867. At the end of the 13th century, Lueg was the most profitable toll house in Tyrol. The newest, castle-like toll building and the warehouse were destroyed in 1809. What remains is the chapel to Saints Christopher and Sigmund. The original chapel was built in the middle of the 15th century, the north tower being added a half century later. Between 1684 and 1686 the chapel was extended and converted to the baroque style. After various further alterations, extensive restoration work began on the church in 1990. This was completed in 2013.